pg_chameleon v2.0.0.alpha2 is out

Has been a while since I wrote a post on this blog. I’ve been quite busy on coding pgchameleon’s version 2. I finally managed to release an alpha1 the 11th of November but this release had several issues which prevented the users to have real tests. However, after a week of debugging I’ve released pg_chameleon v2.0.0.alpha2 which is now quite usable. For a complete command line reference and an usage example click here.

pg_chameleon 1.0 RC1 available now

In 2013 I started my pet project pg_chameleon to discharge my frustration only to find the entire thing even more frustrating. It’s fascinating how time and circumstances can fix the personal perspective revamping the passion for development that never left me. This philosophical introduction is to tell I still can’t believe I’ve relased the RC1 of my pet project pg_chameleon. The release is already available on pypi and includes several bug fixes and performance improvement.

Mighty morphin power elephant

Back in the 2013 I started playing with sqlalchemy to create a simple extractor from heterogeneous systems to be pushed in postgresql. I decided to give the project a name which recalled the transformation and I called pg_chameleon. To be honest I didn’t like sqlalchemy. Like any other ORM adds an interface to the data layer with a mental approach to the data itself. I lost the interest to developing a migrator very soon, and after all there are thousands of similar tools thousands of times better than mine (e.