An ancient italian proverb says Il backup è quella cosa che andava fatta prima. A rough translation could be something like this: the backup is the thing that had to be done before. The concept of backup is quite confusing. Some people wrongly believe that executing a local backup is sufficient to ensure the recover of the data. In the real world a valid backup is present only if three conditions are true.
pgbackrest is an amazing tool that saves entire PostgreSQL clusters with ease. In this post we’ll go trough the configuration of the backup using a remote backup server. For the extensive documentation and detailed instructions please refer to the user guide. operating system configuration For our example we’ll use two virtual machines on virtualbox with devuan 1.0 Jessie installed. Each machine is configured in the same way. 1 cpu 1 GB ram Hard disk of 12 GB with single partition ext4 sshd up and running The machines have one bridged network adapter eth0.
Has been a while since I wrote a post on this blog. I’ve been quite busy on coding pgchameleon’s version 2. I finally managed to release an alpha1 the 11th of November but this release had several issues which prevented the users to have real tests. However, after a week of debugging I’ve released pg_chameleon v2.0.0.alpha2 which is now quite usable. For a complete command line reference and an usage example click here.
Today is one year since I started working seriously on pg_chameleon. With this commit I changed the project’s license to the 2 clause BSD and the project’s scope, evolving the project into a MySQL to PostgreSQL replica system. Initially this change was just a try. I needed to synchronise the data between MySQL and PostgreSQL and at that time the only option I had it was to use the MySQL foreign data wrapper, eventually to copy the data locally every now and then.
Bugfix emergency release v1.3.1 I discovered a regression when running the init_replica caused by a wrong handling of missing time in master coordinates. Sorry about that. After another round of bug fixes I’ve released the version 1.3 of my pet project pg_chameleon. The package is available on pypi as usual. The changelog is available here. If you have any question/issue to discussI created a community on gitter. Please join!