In 2013 I started my pet project pg_chameleon to discharge my frustration only to find the entire thing even more frustrating.
It’s fascinating how time and circumstances can fix the personal perspective revamping the passion for development that never left me.
This philosophical introduction is to tell I still can’t believe I’ve relased the RC1 of my pet project pg_chameleon.
The release is already available on pypi and includes several bug fixes and performance improvement.
After fixing few bugs I decided to release the first pg_chameleon beta.
The package details with the changelog are available here http://www.pgdba.co.uk/p/mysql-to-postgresql-replica.html
These are the notable changes.
Switch to psycopg2 2.7.x - Thanks to Daniele’s work now the requirement installs without need for python or postgresql headers, making the install in virtualenv much simpler Install system wide or in virtualenv follow the same rules. The configuration files and the package files are installed in the python’s site-packages/pg_chameleon.
Over the last week end I finally worked trough python’s setuptools and relased the alpha4 for pg_chameleon 1.0.
This is the final alpha version the version 1.0.
The system now can be installed in the virtualenv just typing
pip install pg_chameleon
It’s important pip is up to date so if there’s any error upgrade pip with
pip install pip –upgrade
The first install creates in the user’s home the directory .
Thanks everybody for listening. And massive thanks to the PostgreSQL Europe staff for organising an amazing conference.
The slides from my talk are available fordownload here.
The open source replica system is on github https://github.com/the4thdoctor/pg_chameleon and hopefully Transferwise will also release the customised obfuscator soon.
As mentioned in the presentation I did at the Brighton PostgreSQL Meetup, pg chameleon is a commute project.
In general I work on it when I travel. And thanks to the pgconf and other requirements I travelled a lot recently.
This is the presentation’s recording (sorry the audio is suboptimal).
So I was able to build a minimum viable product which seems to work properly.
The alpha1 release is available for download and testing here